Check out my latest contribution to One World 365!
Since the beginning of the New World, the East Coast of the United States has been a symbol of immigration and the formation of a new nation, “the land of the free.” The East Coast has historical charm, representing the European heritage that founded the United States. The entire coast has exciting and interesting cities and landscapes that tourists should visit. Below I have outlined the top 5 cities to visit throughout the East Coast:
- Boston, Massachusetts: As one of the oldest cities in the United States, Boston is known for several significant events in the American Revolution, such as the Boston Massacre and the Boston Tea Party. Walk the famous Freedom Trail, shop along Newbury Street, and go on a ghost tour! Learning about historical figures during a ghost tour was one of my favorite and most memorable experiences in Boston.
- New York City, New York: The most well-known city in the United States, New York City is where immigration into the United States began. The hustle and bustle, bright lights, and endless activities make NYC known as a city that never sleeps. It is the home of Wall Street, the Statue of Liberty, Freedom Tower, Broadway, and Central Park, among other staple names in tourism.
- Washington, District of Columbia: As the capital of the United States, you will learn about the origins of the separation of power in the government. With tours of government buildings, historical monuments, and Smithsonian museums (free admission!), you will have the opportunity to learn a lot about United States history.
- Charleston, South Carolina: Known as the Holy City and one of the most hospitable places in the United States, Charleston is the epitome of Southern United States charm and historical architecture. Make a point to visit the Charleston City Market to try pralines and purchase baskets and trinkets that bring you back in time. Take a stroll on Rainbow Road and Battery Park. Try fresh seafood and visit the beaches throughout the year (I went to Folly Beach in January!). I wrote about my trip to Charleston, South Carolina in 24 Hours.
- West Palm Beach, Florida: With sunny skies and beautiful weather throughout the year, visit West Palm Beach and the surrounding coastal islands throughout the year. You will find beautiful beaches along the Atlantic Ocean, luxurious golf courses, and great shopping opportunities. For the past several years, I have frequently visited Jensen Beach, Florida, which is relatively close to West Palm Beach. Jensen Beach is known for its annual pineapple festival, delicious seafood, boating, fishing, and watching sea turtles during nesting season.
I hope you have the opportunity to travel to these exciting destinations on the East Coast. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me in the comment section below, on my inspirNational Facebook page or on Twitter @brittanyvb.